Northport is a historic maritime village on the north shore of Long Island, New York. Initially designated Great Cow Harbour by 17th-century English colonists, the area was officially renamed Northport in 1837. In 1894, in an effort to localize governance, the community incorporated as a village.
The village has a total area of 2.5 square miles, of which 2.3 square miles is land and 0.2 square miles, or 9.02%, is water. Almost all of the village is composed of the low, steep hills of Long Island’s northern terminal moraine. West of it lies the highly sheltered Northport Harbor, north is Long Island Sound, and east are woods and marshes.
Northport is known for its Victorian era village center, which still possesses the trolley rails from an old streetcar line which transported residents to the Long Island RailRoad station in East Northport. There is one Main Street in the village, extending along the harbor-front to Vernon Valley, a former hamlet that has been subsumed into the neighboring East Northport community.
Northport is well known for Steer’s Pit, a huge depression carved into cliffs just south of the massive LIPA smokestacks, and commonly known as “The Pit” by locals. The Northport Historical Society and Museum is on Main Street and just a click towards west lies Northport Park and Cow Harbor Park facing the Northport Harbor. Nearby are the Sand City Brewing Co and Copenhagen Bakery, popular local establishments. South of Main Street is Laurel Avenue which leads to Laurel Avenue School and Northport-East Northport Public Library School.
Northport Coordinates: 40°54′10″N 73°20′39″W