Smithtown is a town in Suffolk County, New York, on the North Shore of Long Island. It is part of the New York metropolitan area. The census-designated place of Smithtown lies within the town’s borders. There are 111.4 square miles in the town, of which 53.6 square miles are land and 57.8 square miles or about 51.89% are water.
Smithtown borders Kings Park, St James, Head of the Harbor, Lake Grove, Hauppauge, and Commack. The border between Smithtown and the town of Huntington is partially defined by Bread and Cheese Hollow Road (Suffolk County Road 4), so named after Bread and Cheese hollow. Fort Salonga was also located on the border between Smithtown and Huntington.
Villages within the town include Head of the Harbor, Nissequogue, and Village of the Branch. The Smithtown hamlet of Nesconset was the home of Spaceplex, an indoor amusement park and arcade. Other communities include North Smithtown, San Remo and Smithtown Pines. Smithtown’s current town hall and seat of government were built in 1912 on Main Street.
Smithtown is home to several state parks, including Caleb Smith State Park Preserve, a state park southwest of Smithtown village, Sunken Meadow State Park, Nissequogue River State Park, and Blydenburgh Park Historic District. At the fork of Jericho Turnpike (New York State Route 25) and St. Johnland Road (New York State Route 25A), there is a large, anatomically perfect, statue of Smith’s bull, known as Whisper the Bull. Paul T Given County Park, Landing Avenue Park, and Sweet Briar Nature Center are other nearby parks.
All bus routes serving Smithtown are operated by Suffolk County Transit. There are also three Long Island Rail Road stations in Smithtown: Kings Park, Smithtown, and Saint James.
Smithtown Coordinates: 40°51′46″N 73°12′55″W
Areas we provide service include St James.